Thursday, January 12, 2012

I Don't Believe in New Year's Resolutions

So, we are almost two weeks into 2012 and people keep asking me what my New Year's resolutions are.  I don't believe in New Year's resolutions.  I have learned that for me, New Year's resolutions are just a set up for failure.  I can't logically set a resolution for myself that I'm going to stick with for 365 days just because it's January 1st. 

I have, however, set some personal goals for myself.  Not resolutions, but things I would like to do to better myself.  Not for a year, but for life. 

One goal I have set is to spend more time outside with my kids, especially on break.  I've found that it's so easy to spend time cleaning my house during break (and who doesn't love a clean house?), but while I'm inside cleaning my house, my kids are inside watching TV, playing video games, you get the picture.  So, luckily for us, winter break was amazing.  The weather was so nice, we were outside almost every day.  We went on walks around the Marina, went on bike rides, spent time together.  This was one of those breaks that I will never forget.  I've learned that although my house isn't spotless, the dirt will be there another day.  My kids have grown so much.  I don't want to regret cleaning my house instead of playing with my kids.  I don't want my kids to say that their mom was too busy cleaning the house to play with them. 

So, this is my promise to myself and my kids.  Not for a year, but forever.  I will never, ever put cleaning the house before playing with you again.  Really, I'm the only person who notices the dust on the table.  Some day, I'm going to miss the days that I didn't have time to keep the house spotless.

1 comment:

  1. What I wish I could do was find that fine balance. Rob's goal for this year is to rid ourselves of 50% of what we currently have. That is hard for me because I hold onto things. I place value on things that were cherished by my gramma and other family members. But I also hold onto things like books. Or favorite toys of the children, or t-shirts that I loved or that really mean something to me...I need to work on letting go.

    But, I love your goal. This break was great for us as well. Even with me recovering from surgery and dealing with my nonsense, we had a good time. We spent truly quality time together and did things that we don't always do. It was hard to send them back to school after having them mostly to myself for 5 weeks.

    ReplyDelete