Saturday, January 28, 2012

Whose Rights Are They, Really?

Being a teacher who has to give real letter grades on report cards for the first time in 14 years has really been difficult.  What do these grades really mean?  It seems that no matter what grades I give, they are not a true representation of every child.  When I give one student an A who always works above grade level, does that mean the same thing as the A I give the student who's work I modify every day? 

It also turns out that I'm quite a sucker.  For some reason I gave the students who have regular behavior problems a B in citizenship.  Of course, they don't deserve a B, but what grade do they deserve?  In my frustration, I told my husband, "I'm just going to give everyone a C!  They can all be average!"

This got me thinking.  Don't we teach children that we are all average these days?  We don't teach our children that putting your best effort and working hard are important.  We teach them that we are all "equal".  We all have the same opportunities, the same chance to go to college, the same chance to be successful.  What a load of crap!

Those of you who know me know that I am pretty liberal, and this blog may surprise some of you, but I'm tired of this passivist attitude.

My first experience as a parent with this new way of thinking was when my children signed up for softball/t-ball as young children.  After each game, my children asked me who won.  Um, I don't know, we don't keep score.  At the end of the season, everyone got a trophy.  EVERYONE GOT A FRIGGING TROPHY!!  What are we teaching these kids?  If you sit around and watch the bunnies, you get a stupid, meaningless trophy? 

Next was the science fair, which I help run at our school.  We couldn't do first, second and third place anymore because we might hurt someone's feelings.  We will simply buy a different ribbon for the kids who get to go to the regional fair.  WHAT??!!  If you put the most effort and did the best project, you deserve the shiny blue ribbon!  You earned that ribbon!

Now that I think about it, not only do we not reward the "good" children, the hard working children, but we reward those children who regularly get in trouble.  The ones who need to learn to make better choices.  My daughter is a straight A student who NEVER gets in trouble.  She also has not received the "Principal's Award" in 2 1/2 years.  The students who get into trouble regularly sure have earned it, though.  What are we teaching these children?  Follow the rules and you will be ignored.  Break the rules, cause problems and we will jump at your command, give you a hug when you hit someone and give you a sticker when you remember to say thank you. 

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of this attitude.  I am sick and tired of students taking away from my children's learning.  I'm tired of children being able to hurt another child "because he has a disability and he has rights".  What about my child's rights?

My dream job would be to open a school where only children who want to learn can come.  You hurt other children, talk back, get violent?  See ya!  Imagine what I could do.  I could take these children on the most amazing field trips because I would know they wouldn't cause problems, get hurt or embarrass me.  I could teach them so much more without the distractions.  I could teach them to teach themselves.  I could become the facilitator, not the teacher.  I could have amazing results.

I know the new idea is to send every student to college, make every student average.  Imagine our lives in an average world.  Who would cure cancer?  Who would start the path to world peace?  Who would make my damn french fries at McDonald's?  I like those french fries.

2 comments:

  1. The only part I have a hard time with is *not* thinking that every child can go to college. Maybe I should change that to, I believe that every child should have the opportunity to go to college. I just think of my college experience and how much I grew during that time. But I do know that not everyone wants or dreams of going to college like I did. And I wish that there were more trade schools available for those who know that's what they want to do. And maybe there are more around in Nevada. California used to have a great trade school system, but did away with it at some point. My mom taught at one of the trade schools in Columbus, Ohio and they had amazing programs - those who wanted to be builders/contractors actually BUILT houses that were then sold and the money went back to the program (I believe some of it went to the kids as well, but can't remember exactly). They also had a culinary department teaching everything from cooking to setting tables properly, and had a restaurant on campus. They also had an auto department.

    Do I want to live in a world where everyone is average? hell no. I *do* think that kids that have done well should be praised and raised above as something to which others can aspire.

    If a child is *not* doing work in class, even when the answers are being given because it is being done WHOLE GROUP (I can't tell you how many times I've seen this as a sub), then there should be some sort of responsibility taken for that.

    And, for the lower grades, what gives with no Os? I don't buy it that parents thought those were zeros.

    ReplyDelete